jueves, 15 de enero de 2009

So far...so good :)

Ive been trying to switch to veganism these days…and Im loving it. Its a bit hard in here because there is not many products or restaurants vegan-friendly, but I’m trying my best cuz my “cushion” meal are quesadillas…almost any little town or mexican typical restaurant have them…but I have to figure a few things out. :)


Soy strawberry lassi...a goodness of strawberry , sugar and cardamom.


And a little contest with my mom, of course she says that vegan food tastes dull and is for hippies. SO …I challenged her to make waffles, and I would make vegan waffles and my carnivore brother would be the judge but we didnt tell him what they had.
So guess who won…..?? yay Vegan Banana-Strawberry waffles from Vegan on a Budget

I make a batch and freeze them for later breakfasts.

Vegan waffles 1 – Regular Waffles 0

cups all-purpose flour (or 1 cup all-purpose, 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 medium ripe banana, mashed
1 1/2 c. soy or rice milk
3 T. canola oil
3 T. maple syrup
3/4-1 c. fresh or frozen and thawed strawberries, sliced (measure first, then slice)
extra banana and strawberry slices for garnish, optional
Preheat your waffle iron.
Sift and mix together the flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl, mash the banana with a fork if you haven’t already. Add the milk, syrup and oil and mix well with the fork. Add the wet to the dry until just combined–don’t overmix! Fold in the sliced strawberries.
Cook in your waffle iron according to its instructions–I use 3/4 c. of thick batter and cook on a high setting.
Top with maple syrup and the sliced fruit, and powdered sugar if you like. Freeze your leftovers and pop them in the toaster when you’re ready for more.. I think they tasted better the next day.










I went on Tuesday to mexico city to pay some gas and light bills and I took the chance to eat at one of my favorite restaurants called The Green Corner, ( I had the best tofu burguer ever), that also has a little supermarket store. I love it , but its a bit expensive, the rice milk was almost 7 dollars , and some things also very expensive. But I managed to buy Brown Rice Organic Flour from Bob’s Red Mill and I’m planning to make Brown Rice Pancakes soon. Also I bought Organic Hemp Shake , an organic muffin, a lettuce, and I was shocked when I found this baby….


Tadaaaa…never imagined it would be in mexico . Vegan with a Vengeance…and of course I coudln't miss that opportunity.
I’m so excited , I can´t wait to try some recipes…it’s so funny .




Currently my lunch, a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter, smashed bananas and coffee.


Sorry about the photos , but ive been lately in a hurry…so much things going on before classes.

I've been trying some post-yoga snacks like:

-Pinneaple with cilantro and salt.
-Fresh fruits
- Soy yogurt and granola
-Pistachios and raisins

14 comentarios:

Gina dijo...

Larissa!! That's awesome! When it comes to eating out, the switch can definitely be difficult.

I love VWaV, as I think everyone does! I actually think I like it more than Veganomicon.

I'm so glad that your vegan waffles won! Strawberry banana waffles? Sounds awesome!

Every Gym's Nightmare dijo...

oooo waffles. doesnt get much better than that.

Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com

Katie dijo...

Good luck with the veganism! I hope you'll continue to post about it.

magpie dijo...

All of this food is so amazing. Love the lassi (I used to make these a lot with silken tofu - YUM) and the WAFFLES!!!!

alaina dijo...

i have an undying love for quesedillas. also mashed banana and peanut butter. when i was little me and my brothers would mash a bunch of bananas and whip them up with peanut butter then eat it like pudding :)

Theresa dijo...

Pineapple with cilantro sounds so great! I love that your waffles won the context. There is no better way to prove to people that veganism is perfectly reasonable than to wow them with your food. And good on you for making the switch!! I live in a place with very little (or very expensive) "vegan" products--though it's maybe a bit better than where you are--and we make do with lots of beans, veggies, grains, etc. Good luck!!

happyherbivore.com dijo...

YAY!!!!

Becks - Not a Rabbit. dijo...

Good look going fully vegan. You sound like you are doing great!
Veganism is not always the easy choice when it comes to eating out, but it's totally worth it.
You are awesome!

Annie dijo...

I get you, it's hard to find vegan things in Mexico other than fruits, grains and vegetables. Oh, and the vegan things are very, very expensive....but some are oh so worth it hehe.
It's so awesome that you got the book, I haven't seen it in Nuevo Leon.
Veganism gets easier and easier as you stick with it :)
Have a great day
Annie

Annie dijo...

Hey,
Well the books I got them from the US. I spent Christmas there with my cousins so I got to buy them, they are all really good.
If you ever come to Monterrey I'll lend them to you :) hehe.

For the Love of Guava dijo...

YAY! That's exciting that you're trying the vegan thing! I just transitioned completely a few months ago.

Quesadillas were always my quick snack as well... if you want and kind find it you can transition with fake cheeses but it's probably just better to find a different "go to"

pita and hummus is always good!

or bean burritos!

Good luck! You Rock!

a vegan about town dijo...

I have never made waffles! I really want to give them a go, hmm...

Stacey dijo...

Go vegan waffles! That's really cool that you're trying out veganism! Not having the vegan convenience foods just means you'll have to get a little more creative - and those are usually the best dishes - when you just whip something up with a few ingredients. Looks like you got a great cookbook too!

camelia dijo...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com